Saturday, July 5, 2014

Rhubarb Pie: Taking Pictures for Take Two


Guess what? Last time I promised pictures, and this time I took pictures!

That's right...this nonintuitive dessert was good enough that I made it again. :D Here's an illustration of how to put it together. You can find the recipe and instructions here. (I seriously recommend.)


Combine your flour, butter, and salt in a food processor; add water until the mixturestarts to form wet crumbles and can be compressed into a dough.
Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper.
Press it into a tart pan
Do not panic when you put it in the oven and it looks like something is trying to emerge from your pie; just poke it and push it back down with a fork.
Bake until the crust firms slightly and browns around the edges.
Finally! Some healthy, vibrant, hearty rhubarb!
I cut my rhubarb into a variety of sizes. Which is probably not an expert technique as far as uniform baking goes, but I hoped that by adding some smaller pieces in with the big tasty chunks I could fill in all the gaps in the crust and make sure there was delicious rhubarb in every bite. 
Whisk up your egg, sugar, flour, and cold water.
Mix just enough of the egg mixture in with your rhubarb to coat the vegetables; reserve the rest.
The crumble topping.
Spoon the rhubarb into the pie crust and spread uniformly. Pour the remaining egg mixture over/around the rhubarb UNTIL the pie crust is full. You will probably have extra, but you don't want the pie to leak...like mine did.
Liberally sprinkle with the crumble topping.
After baking 
As a side note, I have to point out like this particular tart looked like something from the darker depths of hell when I pulled it out of the oven. It was dripping red liquid and I could see it bubbling underneath the crumble crust! Despite those ominous aesthetics, the rhubarb jelly tasted really good.
I think Internet fame has gone to my dad's head...he asked to be featured on my blog again!
The rhubarb really does make a beautiful bright pink filling.
Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment